Friday, June 4, 2010

ConnectED 2010

I want to go.

I was so excited when I found out about this conference a week or so ago. However with my new job I can't get the time off to attend! what a shame.

ConnectED is an international conference on design education, and how lucky are we that the 2nd ever one is in Sydney, our backyard.

I have been particularly interested in the design of educational spaces over the last year or so. So much so that my university major project was a multipurpose learning centre for secondary students. Schools should be designed more like universities and workplaces. Features such as breakout spaces, common areas with various spaces to conduct individual or group informal learning, meeting rooms that simulate real life business, multimedia points easily accessible and wireless internet. Students find it easier to apply themselves to their learning when they take ownership of both the tasks and the environments in which they inhabit.

I think there is so much to discuss and contribute about these types of spaces. It is not a simple solution but one that is definitely evolving. I am already seeing the design of informal spaces in schools and the exploration of the relationship between inside and outside spaces - extending the learning experience into its neighbouring landscape. I look forward to future conversations with likeminded people, and i'm disappointed it won't be this june 28 june -1 July. Lets hope I can download some notes from the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment